I was utterly horrified this weekend when I filled up my tank and it was $46.01. I know that this is relatively inexpensive compared to others, but seriously $50.00 on gas!?!?! Here are a couple tips for saving money on gas.
- Run errands during your commute. I try to run errands on my commute to and from work – dry cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, framing, and tailoring. When you are stuck in traffic, pay attention to your surroundings. It will surprise you how much you can get done without making an extra trip.
- Clean out your trunk. Carrying around extra weight reduces your car’s gas mileage. Clean out any unnecessary cargo and see your gas mileage go up.
- Get your get oil changed and tire pressure checked. Regular oil changes and optimal tire pressure increase your car’s gas mileage. Make sure to get your oil changed and tire pressure checked every 3,000 miles.
- Accelerate slowly. Acceleration uses the most gas, when you accelerate slowly you can make your fill up last longer.
- Open the windows. For short trips around town, open the windows instead of using your air conditioning.