Okay, this post isn’t really about budgeting, but I think it is totally applicable to most women. If it doesn’t apply to you, then you are a bigger person than I am.
For some reason, my June calendar is filled with various functions with ex-boyfriends/ex-guys-I-have dated. I am not going to lie, prior to these functions, I definitely spend time obsessing about what I am going to wear. To clarify, it is not because I still like these boys. When I see them, I just want to exude a casual “yes, I was this beautiful when we dated and boy you are an idiot” vibe. When I feel beautiful, I am more confident and less likely to say awkward/inappropriate things. For example telling a recent ex- guy-I-dated “I am so glad I don’t have to run into you in Westwood any more”…awkward.
The key to pulling this look off is not look like you put a lot of thought into your outfit. Here are a couple tips that I have learned over the years.
- You must consider the weather. Do NOT wear a sun dress (even if you look adorable in it) when it is foggy outside.
- You must consider the function. High heel shoes that get stuck in the grass are not appropriate for an outdoor BBQ.
- Do not wear something that is not “your style.” If you are a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal, wear a super cute version of jeans and a t-shirt. Do not try to pull off a mini skirt. You will only feel uncomfortable and look like you are trying too hard.
- Emphasize the feature you like the most, but don’t go overboard. If you think you have great legs, wear high waisted shorts or a skirt and a more conservative top. Do not wear a booty shorts and a halter. Besides looking trashy – he will figure what you are up to 🙂
- Do not break the bank on your outfit. While you can totally get something new and saucy, going into credit card debt over an ex is not worth it. Case in point, Carrie’s shopping spree before attending Natasha’s Women of the Arts luncheon.